Microcement Finishing - Pros and Cons!
In the decoration of premises a new decorative covering - microcement is increasingly used. This is a special high-tech plaster with a thickness of just 3 millimeters, consisting of three layers: base, composite layer and a protective layer. Microcement is a durable and elastic covering that can be applied to any surface, which makes it especially popular in interior decoration. It is applied not only on a floor, but also on walls, built-in furniture, plumbing, stairs and railings, anything that may be of interest to a designer. What advantages of microcement make it so in demand as a finishing material and what disadvantages can lead to undesirable problems?
What are the advantages of microcement?
- Multipurposeness in use. It can be used to decorate any surface, both vertical and horizontal, it is firmly fixed on the base of any material, even smooth tile or glass.
- High strength and resistance to mechanical stress. Microcement finishing will last for a long time without losing an attractive appearance.
- Water-repellency. The covering is resistant to moisture and steam and has water-repellent properties, which allows it to be used for finishing rooms with high humidity.
- Resistance to high temperatures and chemicals. Heat from a cooker or detergents will not damage the covering. In addition, microcement does not burn, which is a valuable quality for finishing material in terms of fire safety.
- Attractive appearance. Microcement covering looks aesthetically and is nice on the touch.
- Economy. A thin layer of covering implies a low material consumption, which, combined with long service life, makes its use beneficial.
What caution should be exercised?
- In order for the covering to stay as strong as it should be, the base must be perfectly clean and dry.
- Curvature or other unevenness of the surface can cause damage to the covering since resistance to mechanical stress does not include rupture impact effects. Therefore, the base must be flat.
- La posa del microcemento richiede abilità e conoscenze delle tecniche precise perciò meglio rivolgersi a uno specialista qualificato.
- Laying micro cement requires special skills and technological knowledge, therefore a qualified specialist is required for quality work.
- Each layer takes time to dry before applying the next one, so the finishing process can take several days.